The Christmas season is soon coming up again and with it the pre-Christmas stress begins. With a few tips for sustainable gifts, you can escape this hassle and enjoy the most wonderful time in complete relaxation.
The calm before the storm. Although it still takes a few months, Christmas is getting closer and everyone knows that the Christmas season is not the most relaxed time of the year. There are about ten Christmas feasts waiting, the Christmas cookies don't bake themselves and the tree (of course from sustainable sources) has to be decorated as well. Have you already fixed the winter tyres? A service before the holidays wouldn't hurt the skis and snowboards either. And somewhere in between you have to get the obligatory presents for the mother, the uncle and the godchild. A miserable stress this peaceful Christmas time.
In order to survive all this without a mental breakdown, we have a few tips for you:
1. Start organizing early enough
It is still a few weeks before the big Christmas hustle and bustle begins – so use the time. Think about what you can do now, what you won't have to worry about in December. Some things are unavoidable, the Christmas cookies are best served fresh and the tree should be installed just before the holidays. However, you can bring your skis to the service now, as it is cheaper off-season anyway. The winter tires can also wait, but better too early than too late.
2. Avoid the stress of getting the Christmas presents
The Christmas presents, a thing of their own. The Christmas season is becoming more and more materialized, it is often no longer about giving someone something because you want – but because you MUST. Start thinking now about what you WANT to give to whom. Sometimes a small honest gesture is worth much more than anything material.
An alternative to all the "last minute" gifts you only give for having given something is a simple game that you certainly know from your school days: Secret Santa. Whether in the family, in the circle of friends or in the company – all participants draw a name from a pot, which must be kept secret. Now you have plenty of time to organise just one gift. You can take much more time to come up with a truly appropriate gift. So everyone gets a personal gift that's much more fun than a bunch of junk that you can't use anyway and give away at the next opportunity.
Gifts don't always have to be bought, they can simply be made by yourself – it's often cheaper and in most cases totally well received. Below we show you a few gifts that are very easy to make yourself:
- Jute bags: Fabric bags are the perfect alternative to plastic bags and accompany you through your everyday life without leaving behind garbage. To make one yourself, it doesn't take much more than fabric (e.g. old curtain), yarn and a sewing machine. The bag can be individually designed with waterproof colours. In the internet you can find various instructions.
- Photo album: Thousands of photos that get dusty on your smartphone and are hardly ever viewed again. That doesn't have to be! Create a photo book for your best friend that relives those beautiful memories. Especially after a trip together, this idea is great for capturing unforgettable moments forever. Various tools can be found in the internet.
- Agenda: A personalised agenda for your office buddy? Totally cool and super easy to make. All you need is an empty notebook that you can customise with your creativity. You can add photos, quotes or drawings to the agenda to add a personal touch to the calendar.
- Homemade jam: Self-made tastes best. Get regional and seasonal fruits like strawberries or apricots and the few ingredients you have at home anyway and create your own jam. With the right instructions (you can also find them online) you can make a homemade and always popular gift for your loved ones.
Of course, there are many more gadgets that are easy and inexpensive to make. Whether the gifts become works of art or not does not matter at all. However, the recipient will notice that you have taken the time to think about a suitable gift. If you don't have any skill at all in handicrafts, then simply give time together in the form of vouchers for various joint activities.
3. Sustainable company and customer gifts
Are you responsible for organising the gifts your company wants to offer customers and employees for Christmas, an anniversary or any other occasion? We can help you find the right gift.
Nowadays, sustainability is an increasingly important aspect in many areas of life, including the selection of customer gifts and employee gifts. But sustainability is a complex concept. What are sustainable gifts?
As mentioned above, gifts are often simply given not because they are seriously thought about what the recipient really likes. The demand for sustainability is always growing and therefore you should also consider what you can do about customer and employee gifts. Sustainable gifts are not only good for the environment, they also create a positive image of the company, which is happy to support sustainability and thus meet the demands of its customers.
Of course, sustainable gifts are not only things made from environmentally friendly materials, but also those that take social and economic aspects into account. Support local businesses or foundations that make a living from such orders. Obtain gifts from brands that promote sustainable products. By choosing regional manufacturers of gifts, you not only support the local economy, but also avoid importing foreign products that involve long transport routes and large emissions.
With sustainable company and customer gifts you make your employees and customers aware of the sustainable use of resources and motivate them to deal with the issue as well.
4. The most important things in brief
Think carefully in advance whether the gift makes sense for your customers, employees or loved ones, and whether it also brings benefits – so that it doesn't go unused somewhere and is given away at the next best opportunity and dies equally uselessly. Don't just give that you have given something but take time for a really suitable gift.
When choosing a gift, consider the origin and the materials used. Avoid "cheap" gifts from distant countries that have to travel a long way to reach you and instead support local foundations or brands with a sustainable background. Or let your creativity run wild and design your gifts yourself.
5. A sustainable gift from NIKIN?
NIKIN is committed to sustainable and fair products. At NIKIN, you'll find trendy, useful and sustainable products at affordable prices that will delight any customer, employee or friend. The recipient will become a tree sponsor and will receive a tree certificate that confirms this. On request, some of our products can even be personalised and, if required, we also offer direct delivery to the recipient.
Would you like to present your customers, employees or friends with a cool NIKIN product and immediately plant a tree in their name? – Then contact us directly at email@example.com.